Sunday, March 23, 2008

All Done!!




Finally found some time to finish off the banjo! Decided to finish the neck with Tung Oil (I used Behr Scandinavian Oil, which is at the Home Depot) which I had used on a couple furniture projects I had done, and it looks great! The nice thing with Tung Oil is you can put a coat on every hour and then dry overnight. I put about 5 coats on the neck.

I was going to get a piece of leather from a friend for the tail piece and then saw a few photos of a banjo with a simple wooden one with a hole cut it in to fit around the dowel. Since I am very impatient I figured this wood do, and I actually love the way it looks!

I am using Aquilla Nylgut strings, and first tuned it to normal G tuning, but the head was sagging a bit so I lowered the tuning to about F. I think any lower than this the strings get too flabby (its a short scale 24"). I found that the sound really cam alive after I lowered it, I think the gourds like the lower frequencies. It just became better all of a sudden!

The nut is made of walnut, because I had lots of scrap sitting around the shop after making a cutting board out of it.

Overall it was a great project, and even for a beginner like me only took a few days to make! I am praying the neck stays stable!

4 comments:

el alce grande said...

Looks good, man. And I like what you did for the tailpiece there.

How about a sound sample?

Doctor of Manliness said...

That came out great! You are an inspiration

Craftsman said...

Great work Jeff, really enjoyed it !

Geoff said...

Nice work. I'd love to hear how it sounds.